Monday, January 23, 2012

From Pinterest to Reality: Frosted Glass Edition

Knitting Needle Holder


This is a vase that I picked up at IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00017133/) for $1.99 last time we were in Texas, back in June. I originally bought it to go on some shelves we added to our bedroom, but it ended up being too tall. Since then, it has floated aimlessly around our house with a pathetic little clump of wooden roses in it. This weekend I was working in my craft room and I realized it would be perfect to hold my longer knitting needles. I also recently saw this post on pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pin/55169164154894861/ and decided I wanted to try my hand at it. So I went to Walmart and picked up a can of Spray Frosted Glass and a bag of rubber bands.

This is after I placed the rubber bands. I had the hardest time getting any of the very thin bands to stay in place, they kept sliding down and twisting. If I were to do it over, I would not use the thin bands.

This is after the glass had been sprayed, waiting for it to dry. It goes on clear and then eventually frosts as it dries. We did about 3 thick coats, which I think was too much.

This is after it had dried completely and I took the rubber bands off. The reason I think 3 coats were too many is because you can see how it was so thick it left some residue from where it had been on the rubber bands. I think probably 1 or 2 would have been plenty.

This is after the vase had been washed and scrubbed, removing all of the residue. It looks much much better after that step.

Here are a few shots of the vase in action as a needle holder, it worked out pretty well.

This project ended up being very simple and inexpensive. If I were to do it again, I would not use the very thin rubber bands and I would put a thinner coat on the glass. Other than that, I think it turned out great! I am now seriously considering frosting the glass on all of my yarn cube doors!


No comments:

Post a Comment