Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sewing

I've decided that I need to learn how to sew. I asked my mother for a sewing machine for Christmas so that I can learn. She was kind enough to oblige me and get me one.

I picked out a cute pattern for a three-tiered ruffled apron that ties around the waist. It has a kind of vintage feel, so I went on the search for a vintagey feeling fabric that I thought would be cute with it. I found one that I loved that is turquoise, lime, and red. I bought the fabric I needed and took it home.
Following the advice from the pattern, I prewashed the fabric. This particular pattern calls for 45" wide fabric. The fabric I bought said it was 44-45. After washing it, it was 41 1/2. I went back to the fabric store and measured it on the bolt. The actual fabric was only 43 1/2. Since the apron I want to make is cut on the bias, I will not be able to use this fabric. I am really annoyed about it. If a fabric is supposed to be 45, it should be 45!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment